Monday, October 15, 2012

Slowing Down

"It takes a full 20 minutes after your stomach is full for your brain to register satiation. How long does it take your soul to realize that your life is full? The slower the living, the greater the sense of fullness and satisfaction.
The body and soul can synchronize." 
~Ann Voskamp 

I'm slowing down these days. Back/sciatic pain finally got the best of me but there's been blessing in the "yuck." Clearing my schedule and cutting back on piano lessons wasn't what my heart wanted...but my body said otherwise.

 And I'm learning to just be in the "hear and now."

I'm rocking my babies a little bit longer. I'm pressing repeat a few extra times when a good song comes on. I dance a little longer in the kitchen when a little one says "Mommy, just one more!" even though there are 50 piles of laundry. I hold on tighter to their sticky embraces.

 I stop and talk longer than I should when I cross paths with the elderly...because these are the beautiful ones. I listen a little bit closer when someone's words say one thing but their eyes betray them and say different. Slowing...and being grateful...

Because it was just yesterday I was holding my little ones close to my heart, breathing in BabyMagic, changing 50 million diapers, hearing their first laughs....and somewhere along the way they started growing out of tubs of clothes in the closet in the blink of an eye, learning to tie their shoes, losing their first tooth...and I became a soccer mom.

 My life is full...but it's good. And blessed....because this soccer mama chooses the slow little love boat even though her heart thrives on fast race cars and loud trucks :)

No comments: