Wednesday, July 1, 2009

On Love

"I find that it is better to love badly and faultily than not to try to love at all. God does not have to have perfect instruments, and the Holy One can use our feeble and faltering attempts at love and transform them. My task is to keep on trying to love, to be faithful in my continuing attempt, not necessarily to be successful...


The kind of love that the Divine Lover would have me give is not an instinctive drive. We have flashes of desire and moments of desiring to embody it, and at those moments we are carried on eagle's wings, but our task is to walk in this way without tiring of this love, even when we feel little inspiration in our loving...It is important to remember that love is more than a feeling. The real test of my loving is not that I feel loving, but that the other person feels loved by me. Love is what I do to create this sense of feeling cared for. It is independent of my personal feelings."


From Companions on the Inner Way by Morton T. Kelsey, quoted in A Guide to Prayer for All God's People by Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck

No comments: