Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Only God

An amazing thing happened today.
At the gas station...
In that bathroom
while I sat on an earthly throne.
God spoke to me
from His Heavenly Throne.
He continues to amaze me
at all the times He chooses to speak.

When I walked in this morning I thought I recognized the girl behind the register.
I remembered her from grade school days. She was not very well liked and walked
around with the pain of her home life etched across her face.

I remember her being a bully at times. Nice sometimes, then turning around and stabbing
you in the back. I remember being scared of her....wondering if she could really hurt me. (this was long before she actually beat 2 girls up in jr high then and got kicked out of school).

I also remember trying to stick up for others that she would be teasing and then she would turn on me. Girls can be so mean. My brothers always taught me to stick up for myself. I'm ashamed to admit, I didnt always fight back with love. I know that I would get angry and say not so nice things back to her at times.

So while I was doing my duties in the restroom, God spoke. And only God can usually tell us such profound things while doing yer duties.....and you would actually listen to what He had to say.
He told me to forgive her and apologize for all the times I had not shown love.

And so I prayed that no one would be around when I exited and that she would actually listen to what I had to say. As I walked up to her she started to smile and we began to talk. I apologized to her and she said this: "Thank you, you are the only person, besides one other, that has ever apologized to me." And her face softened.....and the pain fell away.

I will not forget this day....because I watched a face soften even amidst all the pain in her life.
Because it's not always easy to do what God calls us to do...but there is always a reward. Sometimes, it may only be the peace that passes all understanding. But sometimes, it's that
and a smile that lights up the world from a person you don't expect it from.

Only God can put people back into our paths to reconcile with.
Only God can give second chances.
And only God can forgive our sins.
Only God can love us like He does.
Only God can give us the peace that passes all understanding.
We serve an amazing God.

No comments: