Friday, March 14, 2008

A Tribute to Blake Thomas Lee Hall

“The dominant characteristic of an authentic spiritual life is the gratitude that flows from trust—not only for all the gifts that I receive from God, but gratitude for all the suffering. Because in that purifying experience, suffering has often been the shortest path to intimacy with God.”
~Brennan Manning

One night earlier this week, I went out to the gravesite of a dear family friend Blake Hall. I walked around the cemetary for awhile, enjoying the quiet evening and the beautiful sunset. I sipped my coffee and looked at all the names of those who had passed on. I saw many names of those who went to Heaven while still in their youth. Those with good hearts, good spirits, and still enjoying life to it's fullest. A mother, who left 4 children and a husband behind. A boy, killed in a car accident...and finally I stopped at Blake's.
The dirt was still piled and fresh looking, not yet flattened out. I had the sudden urge to start scooping the dirt away and bring him back. Why God? Why did you have to take this precious young man who never complained for 5 years as he battled the cancer? Why do You take the good ones first? Why not me God? I complain freqently, but Blake never did. Questions continue to whirl in my mind as I stood there.
I walked away as the sun was slipping lower and sat in my car, just listening to the still night. Not far away, was Blake's tree stand. I just wish I could see him one more time, enjoying the hunt, I thought. Then I heard God's voice saying: "Laura, a beautiful sunset evening on earth is nothing compared to what I have laid up for those who love me in Heaven." And then I knew...I couldn't wish him back to this life here. God had purposes for Blake and He fulfilled them. It was His timing and not ours. Some things we will never understand. But we can rest in the promises of our Almighty Father.
One month ago today, Blake went to be with Jesus.
So today...I dedicate this song to to him. He was an incredible person who touched so many lives.
He will be in our hearts forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01rx_XzQ34

Blessings to you and yours.
Love n hugs...Laura

3 comments:

mjvan said...

It is hard to understand why God takes some people when He does. I have struggled with that a lot of times with my dad. I'm just so thankful for His peace that passes my understanding.

Jess said...

oh, laura, it is so hard for me to have an eternal perspective sometimes. this post was so well-written...it spoke right to my heart.
thank you...

love
jess

Jess said...

oops. i didn't sign in right...

jess from

jesslovesjesus.com