Monday, August 18, 2014

Counting Summers

I'm grateful for the summers. All of the summers of late night talks with my man....the one who is my best friend. All the summers going on long walks and dreaming together of "some day". The summers of watching our littles experience crawling thru grass for the first time.....learning how to walk with our hands holding theirs so tight. The summers of campfires and watching the light dance across their joy filled faces as they stuffed their mouths full of sticky marshmellow goodness. The summers of becoming brother and sisters, riding bikes, rock piles and truck covered sidewalks, endless park trips, wagon rides, helping Daddy mow, running thru the sprinkler, the 100 thousand trips to the pool, basketball games on the front drive, popsicle parties in play tents under the shade trees, Go Fish in the living room because it was too hot to play outside, playing catch with Daddy, going to the fairs, zoo trips, beach trips, family fun days, rodeos, playing at PawPaw and MeeMee's, dance parties in the kitchen in our jammies and Michigan blueberry milkshakes.
I'm grateful for the memories....the moments that fill the heart to overflowing...and remind me what I live for.
10 more summers before our first little can spread his wings and fly.....only 10 more.
Today this Mama is grateful for the here and now....determined to make every moment...every summer count. To count more stars instead of times the toilet wasn't flushed. To look deeper in their eyes instead of of looking at my phone. To pull them into my arms more often instead of filling my schedule up with everyone else in the world. To love quietly instead of getting impatient loudly. Because there's only 10 more summers before my work here is done with little number one. These babies will be ours forever, but the training grounds are only 18 summers long. Today....I will be grateful for the summers...while we walk this journey of life and the " some days" become the "remember whens."

No comments: