Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Strong Beautiful Hearts

This parenting shenanigan is not for the faint of heart.
I never knew such little people could cause so many emotions to come forth.

At one point today, my heart was literally bursting with joy and pride.
I came across Ellie sitting Gabe down in the living room to help him memorize his Bible verse
for Awana tonight. Without me prompting anything.

At another point today, I was frustrated beyond frustrated that certain little monkies couldn't listen
and follow directions the first time given....even though we have talked about this concept 100 million times...every. single .day. of. their. long. legged. lives......

At one point....I was scrubbing dishes like a mad woman and flinging soap suddy bubbles everywhere because a certain 3 year old was throwing a fit because she "DIDN'T WANT TO EAT HER LUNCH EVER AGAIN AND SHE JUST WANTED TO GO WATCH PRINCE CHARMING AND CINDERELLA RIGHT NOW AND IT IS SO NOT FAIR THAT I MAKE HER EAT FOOD EVERY DAY OF HER LIFE!!!!"

At the suppertable, that same little 3 year old thanked me with the sweetest voice and sweetest smile and said, "Thank you so much for making us supper....you are the best Mommy ever."

During school time today, Gabe kept leaning into me so I gave him a kiss on the head which made him start a game of leaning back and forth. Every time he leaned over I would kiss his head. I was rewarded with the cutest little boy giggles and a smile that lights up the sky every time.

There were highs...there were lows....there were mediums. I didn't always keep my cool.

But tonight when that little blonde haired feisty 3 year old, disobeyed the instructions of:
"Stay right by my side while we walk to the van in the dark parking lot because there are a lot of cars picking up kids tonight..." Well this Mama heart just busted.
As that little laughing crazy monkey bolted from my side and raced as fast as she could to get to the van.....time stood still. I screamed her name and for her to stop as a car came towards her from out of nowhere and barely missed her innocent and carefree little self. I don't know how I got to her as fast as I did, but I do know I picked her up so fiercely that I scratched her hand in the process.
And later as she cried and said, "But Mommy....you hurt my hand."
I cried and told God, "But God...they hurt my heart."

And we held the kids close....we talked about the day...and the importance of listening the first time.
We talked about how much we love them and how Daddy and Mommy still make mistakes too.
And as we cried and prayed in a tight little huddle....we thanked God for His angels tonight protecting little Aubrie.

And this Mama....well I'm learning our hearts are so much stronger than we give them credit for.
It swells, it busts, it excites, it angers, it frustrates, it joys, it breaks, it mends.....
and it does it again and again....day after day.
And I'm beginning to realize that faint hearts become beautiful strong hearts... in this journey we call parenting.



No comments: