Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Amazing Story

Written By Isaac Steidinger


February 14, 2011 was the 3rd anniversary of Blake T.L Hall going home to be with his heavenly father. This year, just like in years past, I planned to shave my head in memory of him and the impact he had on my life. The first couple of years two of my buddies and myself got together and shaved each other's head, last year my girl friend at the time did it. 2011 was going to be different but I wasn't sure why. Something big was going to happen. My first plans were to have a friend of mine do it at my home and celebrate it in a personal way. She volunteers at St. Baldrick's Day, an event to raise awareness for cancer and for people to shave their heads in rememberance of someone. This would have been an honor in itself to do. However, these plans quickly changed when a parent from the 5th Grade Boys Basketball team I coach suggested we shave my head following practice; this way each of the boys could each take one swipe of their own off my thick mop. What happened after basketball practice that night is a memory that will live with me forever..



Immediately following practice the hair clippers and supplies were brought out to get the show on the road. Each player took a turn at cutting off a portion of my hair. This in itself was an honor and I was glad to share this experience with them. What happened next is where the amazing side of this story takes place. It all started with one player asking his parents if he could shave his head too, and then another, and then another... When it was all said and done, twelve 5th Grade boys lined up to get their heads shaved after mine was finished. What I thought would be a quick half hour haircut turned into almost an hour and a half team bonding moment. It began by simply honoring a friend that had passed away and was more than deserving of a dedication. The night ended with 5th grade boys making grownup decisions, and portraying unselfish acts of kindness and caring for others. The mentality of these boys is one that cannot be found in every room of 5th graders.



We have a couple weeks left in our season this year and it saddens me knowing that we may have had our last practice together. I learned so much about these boys tonight and I am forever thankful that I had the oppurtunity and privilege to coach them this year. Words cannot describe how much their actions meant to me. At a time in their life where they are finding out where they belong in school and what group they associate with the best, all personal cares and worries were set aside. "Looks" did not matter to them in a society where you must look "cool" to be popular. These boys are the popular ones in my life. They have made a positive difference in someone's life and chose others over themselves which is remarkable at a such a young age.



2010-2011 Prairie Central 5th Grade Boys Basketball Travel Team Players and Parents, I thank you for the memory you have placed in my heart. Each and every one of you is special to me and I hope you all realize how much you trully mean to me!! THANK YOU!


~pictures to follow tomorrow ;)

No comments: