Monday, August 31, 2009

Sermon Snippets

Snippets from yesterday's powerful sermon before I forget.......(one day I will be able to take notes in church again!!! hopefully soon, Ellie will be in Sunday School too and this will be easier)


THE TONGUE: LIFE & DEATH......




4 "A wholesome tongue is a tree of life,
But perverseness in it breaks the spirit."
~Proverbs 15:4



21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit. "
~Proverbs 18:21...This is such a powerful verse.....we have the ability, with this slimy muscle in our mouth to kill/destory or nurture/bring life....whoa!



23" Whoever guards his mouth and tongue
Keeps his soul from troubles. "
~Proverbs 21:23...seriously, just like Pastor said, just about every situation you get yourself in that isn't good, usually all started because of our mouths!!! (Or 90 % of the time)



4"Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell."
~James 3.........Pastor spoke of this verse like this: Training our tongue to be holy will not be like a jet ski and take off speedily or change instantly. Our tongue is like a big ship (or any situation we are struggling in, this applies also) and you have to keep turning that wheel on the big ship to get yourself to re-route to where you are wanting to go. So don't give up on striving for holy!!!
It will take time to get that ship turned around and headed in the right direction again.



8 "Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; 9 not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For He who would love life And see good days, Let him refrain his tongue from evil, And his lips from speaking deceit. 11 Let him turn away from evil and do good; Let him seek peace and pursue it. 12 For the eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their prayers; But the face of the LORD is against those who do evil.”
~1 Peter 3......not constantly backbiting and throwing insults back when one is thrown at you is a perfect example of this: you will inherit a blessing if you choose to bite your tongue!!! It's written right here in the Word!!



35 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
~Matthew 12....so verse just stops me in my tracks every time and i think I'm gonna go paint it on a wall in my house so I think before I speak EVERY TIME.
.....EVERY.IDLE.WORD= Justification OR Condemnation


I pray this blesses you as it did me and gave me a good kick in the rear to get my ship on the right course!!!

1 comment:

Slightly crooked halo =) said...

I was kicked in the rear too ;-) BUT I needed it badly... Sometimes it's just those small things that start huge battles, and it is started by the little words we know we shouldn't even say in the first place. As the kids get older, I find myself struggling in that area with them too.. not just in marriage, not just with my kids, but with EVERYONE I come into contact with... I told Pastor after church how powerful his sermon was..Praise God we have an obedient Pastor who follows the leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit! LOVE YOU GIRL!!!